Friday, August 31, 2012

Disposable Vs. Cloth Cost

So I'm doing this a little late, but I sat down today and figured out the costs. Prior to figuring this out myself I checked numerous websites that averaged out to $2,500 per child to diaper with disposables, and $800-$1,000 in cloth. My estimate came a wee lower than the $2500, but I also haven't factored in wipes. I didn't factor wipes because I haven't bought cloth wipes yet. I'm sure this would be the easiest so one doesn't go in the trash and other in the laundry, but I haven't done it yet so I didn't factor it as "saving."

Someone tell me if I did this wrong! I used 360 days to make it even (over 3 years= 1,082 days). I also used the Target web site, Pampers stay dry, and the economy large packs (costing $44.99):

0-3 months-90 days-12 changes per day= $202 (approx.). I got this number by dividing 12 changes per day by the 234 diapers in the pack. That came to needing a new pack about every 20 days. In a 90 day period that would mean you need about 4.5 packs. At $44.99 per pack, that's $202.00.

3-6 months-90days-8 changes per day-204 dipes per pack =$161.96

6-30 months- 720 days- 6 changes per day-172 dipes per pack =$1132.00

30-36 months-90 days- 5 changes per day (for this one I used what I buy Gabriel. Target Up and Up size 6, 60 dipes for $13.99) = $209

Total cost = $1704.96 (not including wipes and if you use diaper genie)

Cloth analysis now with accessories such as wet/dry bag, hose, and snappie:

I got this portion off Urbanmommies.com because it seems pretty right on.

48 Organic Cotton Prefolds + 8 Covers + 4 Snappis + Accessories: $415 or.. 30 bumGenius One Size Pocket Diapers + Accessories: $825 or.. 48 Kissaluv Cotton Fitted Diapers (24 sm, 24 med)+ 8 Covers + Accessories: $910 or.. 40 Fuzzi Bunz Pocket Diapers (24 sm, 16 med) + Accessories: $1010

plus..

Home Laundering (based on 15 loads/month, including washer + dryer + detergent) = $533.88 (61% of cost is dryer use)

They say you need about 24-30 diapers in your stash, so the above #'s COULD be a little less. You can then re sell the dipes (for about 50% of what you bought them for), or use with another baby (in theory). I say -in theory- because that would mean that one baby is out of diapers when the next is getting in them. Anyway, there is still a significant savings from what I can see. Especially if you go mostly prefold. Also, if you air dry. That will cut down on laundering more.

2 comments:

  1. If you do use cloth wipes...which you should because they are AWESOME! Seriously, I would use those now even if I don't use cloth diapers. We just bought baby wash cloths. Super cheap. And I got a wipes warmer off Craigslist for $5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking I will. I used disposable wipes with a cloth diaper today and it just didn't make sense. I couldn't put the wipe into the diaper like I usually do... Baby wash cloths sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete