Sunday, September 25, 2011

Welcome Elizabeth Kate!!!

There are few moments in life, fleeting moments, that seem to cut the framework of time, freeze thought, and leave you speechless. No words could describe the beauty of these moments, only emotions that lead to tears, smiles, and an overwhelming since of euphoria. It is in these moments that the meaning of life is defined. Life is worth living for these moments!

Delivering Elizabeth Kate into the world allowed me one of these fleeting moments. There are no words to adequately describe the emotions I felt when they placed her on my chest and allowed me to look my angel in the eyes for the first time. No words to describe the love I felt for my husband who peered over the side of the bed and wept at the sight of his baby girl! No words to adequately thank God for the blessing he poured into my life. A blessing, and a gift from heaven. His grace abounds!

For months I anticipated the arrival of my baby girl, for weeks I anxiously prepared and finalized a birth plan, packed our bags, re organized the house, and wondered about her arrival date, and for days I labored with Braxton hicks contractions that I hoped each day would put me into true labor, and bring Kate into the world. Then, on the morning of 9-20-11, I woke up in true labor pain! At 4:00 a.m., and with contractions at around 4 minutes apart, I got up and started getting ready for a long and exciting day. I started with a shower, make up, a bath, and walking! I woke Josh up around 7 or 8 a.m. and let him know this was it, not to go to work. We then made all the necessary arrangements to get out the door and to my doulas house. We arrived at her house at 10:30 a.m. with contractions still at 4 minutes apart. The change of scenery, however, quickly changed my laboring pace to a lull! I assume I relaxed slightly being in her care, but she began to worry if my contractions would just stop. It was raining, so we decided to stay indoors and bounce on the birthing ball. My contractions spread out to about 6-8 minutes and were not as strong. I then decided to pace around the house and rock back and forth. We also squatted with each contraction that came. They picked back up and labor was on again!

Once the contractions picked back up we decided to walk, rain or shine! Doris Ann (my amazing doula) held the umbrella for me and we walked her neighborhood, squatting with every contraction. We walked for a while, came back to the house to monitor baby (heart rate through contractions), and to assess my progress. We were doing good, but still about 4 minutes apart on the contractions. I continued laboring until Doris asked me if I wanted to get checked by the doctor. She said we were at a point where she would either send me home -if nothing was happening- OR continue to labor with me. Then, as if on que, I began throwing up with each contraction. She knew at this point we were having baby on 9-20! The throwing up shows a change in the body, but also pushes down on baby to help get her into position. So, we walked! I christened her neighborhood and Doris squatted with me each time I contracted with a bucket. It was beautiful :/...

By the time I could not walk properly we decided to go to the OB office and get checked. I did not want to go directly to the hospital because they might have kept me. The last thing I wanted was to get thrown into a bed prematurely. The car ride HURT, but it was fairly short. I waddled into the doctors office, squatted in the elevator moaning, and not so gracefully checked in to my OB. I probably scared the other pregnant women to death with my bucket, moaning, and telling Doris I wanted to lay down in the bathroom (haha). She wouldn't let me by the way. She was a task master and made me squat! This hurt! If you have never labored you wouldn't know, but squatting pushes the baby's head further onto the cervix and makes the contraction stronger (i.e. more painful). So, I got to the point where my mind just wanted a break (for my bodies sake) and I refused to squat through a few contractions. This was the only point when I thought to myself, "I wish Doris would walk away for one second so I could just be." I even tried the ol', "I'm going to the bathroom" trick. Well, she followed me. She wanted to see if I had made any progress through bloody show. Nice try Sarah, hehe! Anyway, I got back to the midwife and she tells me I'm only at 4 cm. I about cried -and died-. I draped myself over my husbands shoulders ready to give up completely. If it hurt THIS bad then I was done for. I knew I would need medication. Doris, however, knew by my disposition that something was wrong with the examination. She told me to lay down and went to get the midwife again. Midwife says, "oh wow, your 5 and I'm giving you papers to the hospital!" They wheeled me down to the car in a chair, we drove to the hospital, and I felt like I was ready to push. Doris described me as very "pushy" and taught me how to painfully breathe through my teeth (uh hum, she FORCED me to breath through my teeth, bc my body hurt like the dickens and wanted to push). I got chill bumps at this point and the shivers (probably transition).

I breathed through my teeth with each contraction now as my body tried to push. There was a man in the elevator, riding up to the delivery floor, who just stared in awe of this woman about to give birth! Oops, sorry to scare ya buddy! So, we got to the check- in and they wanted me to sign some stuff. Josh ended up signing it for me as I squatted and bended in the waiting area. We skipped triage because the ladies got the drift that I was ready, and went straight to the room. They hooked me up to a heplock (but no wires! yah!!!!) and monitoring for me and the baby. Liz handled the contractions like a champ and I was about to die. I moaned but did not scream. I had to use the bathroom and squatted on the floor which scared the midwife. She said, "I'll deliver you on the toilet but I would rather you come back to the bed!" So, I stood up and went to the bed. With one more contraction (or maybe two? My head was in getting her out mode) my water burst all over the floor. They -the contractions- then came hard and fast! Doris wrote all this down for me (amazing), but here are the stats:

2:21 p.m.- 80% effaced, 6cm, -1 station
2:50 p.m.- 90% effaced, 7 cm, 0 station
3:07 p.m.- 100% effaced, 9cm, 0 station
4:02 p.m.- 100% effaced, 10 cm, 0 station

It was time to PUSH!!! This felt AMAZING, let me tell you! Holding back pushing with contractions was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Keeping my head ahead of my bodily instincts was truly a difficult task. I couldn't push before 10 cm, however, or I could have swelled my cervix. It is important to wait to 10! So, I repeated "10" to myself and thought "open thoughts" as I pushed air through my teeth. I cheated a little by taking long breaths, but Doris caught me and told me not to cheat. Long breaths = slight pushes that short breaths don't allow for. Anyway, back to pushing. We pushed on the pull up bar, and then on hands and knees because baby was sunny side up and Asynclitic (http://spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/all-positions/asynclitism) which basically means her head was tipped in my pelvis. By the grace of God when I turned from hands and knees to my back, Elizabeth Kate twisted into position to be born! I pushed on my back while Doris and Josh stretched my legs back towards my chest. This was my best pushing position believe it or not. Elizabeth Kate moved down the birth canal and slowly made an appearance. When her black hair came out Josh got to reach down and touch her head! The midwife told me she had a bunch of hair, reached in and twisted a curl around her finger for me to see. With the next push I was able to reach down and touch my baby girls head! She was crowning at this point. It stung a bit! I held her there to keep from tearing. My body wanted to push but I didn't push until the next contraction. I held these pushes a little bit to allow for the skin to stretch around her head. This would not have been possible with an epidural, because you can not feel the burn or the desire to push. Which is why most women tear greatly or end up with an episiotomy. With the next few pushes we moved from crowning to delivering a baby!!!!! The midwife says I have a "trick diver" because she had one hand on her face as she made her entrance (side note- her hand is currently on her little face as she sleeps on my tummy), and twisted herself with no help from the midwife. This made delivery of her shoulders easy! She did it herself =). Another side note that I don't want to forget comes with a story. My dad, and sister, told me one night on a walk that baby would come out hands first like a diver. Josh then told me that it was funny they said this because he had a dream the night before that her hand popped out first! The midwife nonchalantly told me about her hand, because I asked why I tore up instead of down, and I just smiled remembering the "premonitions" by my family members.

After delivery they put my baby on my chest and pure elation washed over my body. I didn't mind that my legs were wide open and I had an umbilical cord sitting on me. It was Josh, my baby, and me! Josh cried, I cried, my mom "awed," and the two girls stared in amazement! Actually, Mylena got pictures in amazement and Katerina stared ;). I can't even describe this moment.. It's on video and I'm so very thankful that it is. I wasn't sure about the video, but watching it I could watch it a hundred times. It was an amazing moment. One for the history books! Even the nurses cried =).

Elizabeth Kate was 6 lbs 7 ounces and 19.5 inches long. She was born at 4:27 p.m.. The placenta was delivered at 4:33 p.m. and momma was stitched up (only two stitches for "skid marks"). The nurses said they have never seen such a controlled birth. One in which the mom was in control of her mind, and body. I attribute this not to myself, because my instincts were to scream and get baby out, but to God first and foremost for strengthening my mind and body before birth, to reading and understanding what exactly was happening at each stage in my labor, to Doris Ann for keeping me focused, rubbing my back, and keeping me in check, and to my husband who relaxes me in a way he will never know. I look at that man and my heart leaps. He comforts me just by being in the room, and his kisses complete me! The way he looks at our daughter also gives me a peace that I will never understand. I'm just thankful.. Thankful to the God of this universe who gave me a joy and a treasure I can never repay Him for. In yet, He gave, and continues to give, it freely. He is an awesome God and I will praise Him all of my days!

Pictures to come... nap time for now!

7 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that Doris Ann was your doula!!! I've known her and her family for years!! Such an amazing woman. Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl, and thank you for sharing this incredible birth story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am So SO SO happy for you!!! Kate and I are gonna be best friends because she's 12 years one month younger than me!! Can't wait to meet her!! One more amazing Barnett!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!
    And Congratulations. Can't wait to see pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I love your birth story and I am honored to have witnessed my little granddaughter, Elizabeth Kate into the world! She is a gift from Our Father God. He is the creator and author of life. To give birth is so amazing that there are hardly words to describe the overwhelming love, the immense joy, and love completed when we lay our eyes upon and embrace the gift of a baby for the first time. It may be that in those inexpressible moments we come close to understanding His perfect love for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From my dear friend Connie...

    What a beautiful story! Sarah, you have a gift for expressing yourself. I wish I had that talent. Praise God for your family...I can't wait to see the pictures!

    Love, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story to read, but it was even better to witness!
    I love you guys!!!


    Love,
    Mylena

    ReplyDelete