Friday, May 13, 2011

21 Weeks!






Elizabeth is flipping around today and it feels so good =). She is still not as strong as Gabriel, but she is gaining strength steadily. Gabriel was the hulk at birth (a skinny one at that!) holding his head up and rolling over. I am not expecting that of this lil' one ;0). The doula and I are actually hoping for a small babe. I met with Doris on Wednesday and she has restored my hope in VBAC. She did say, however, if we get into the 8.5 lb or 9 lb baby situation she will recommend another c-section. With a 4th degree perineal tear under her belt, she warns me that I would rather have the c-section scar. Not because some women can't push out a 9lb baby (without 4th degree tearing), but because she looked at my hips (and that I had one doc. already tell me no vaginal) and said better safe than sorry. I say the same thing. Fourth degree tear does NOT sound fun for the rest of my life. Just the thought of it makes me cringe...

At the doula appointment we went down a scale of pain. I am looking at -6 being I strongly wish to hold off on medicine, would love for her to assist me in coping methods, would like for her not to mention pain medication being an option, and would like for her to possibly even deny pain meds even when I ask the first time. I am not at -7 or -8, however, that would mean she denied me pain meds even when I was BEGGING for them because I had told her previously I wanted to go natural! I have no issue with epidural as long as I'm progressed enough. I do have thoughts right now, though, that without the epidural I would be able to labor in positions women have labored in for centuries (hands and knees, squatting, etc.). With the epidural I would be pretty confined to being on my back which actually minimizes the pelvic opening and increases the risk of perineal tears. SO, it will be a decision to make for sure! One I will need to have set in my mind before getting into all that pain...

I can't believe I'm at 21 weeks already. I have purchased a bedding set for her room, but no crib yet. I would like to get the office furniture out,and the room painted, before making that purchase. Here is the crib bedding:. I had to link it because I can't grab the pic. from the Target site. I am thinking of a periwinkle for the walls or light pink. I don't want the room to look like an Easter Egg, so I will decide on wall color when the bedding actually gets here. I originally wanted really light colors, but I could not find a bedding, under $400.00, that I liked. So if this room is "Shabby Chic" I guess it will be "Modern Shabby" if there is such a thing ;). I just don't have as much disposable income this go around (because Gabriel also needs a lot), so I'm rolling with the changes.

Until next week...

3 comments:

  1. Livy's room is painted poetic princess pink and it is very light.. I didn't want to get anything bright and this color works great. It also allows me to accent with brighter colors!!! Good luck!!! I believe I got the paint at home depot!!! I'm sure her room will just be beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty bedding!

    I had a really long comment written, but then blogger at it :( I will try to remember it all...

    I'm glad Doris is supporting your wishes and that it was a good meeting. Your best bet for preventing tears is definitely to give birth on hands and knees, squatting (for a larger babe), or side-lying (for a smaller babe). Also, squatting often and daily throughout pregnancy really opens up your pelvis, helps your pelvic bones to spread more, and stretches all those tendons and muscles so that they will be pliable enough to open when baby is descending. Get a birth ball and sit on it versus a normal chair when you're around the house, it simulates a squat but is supportive. I sat on the birth ball almost constantly during my third trimester---at the computer, at the table, etc.

    Believe me, your body will not grow a baby too large for you to birth (except in extreme and rare circumstances, such as if the mom had rickets as a child or a birth defect)! Tears are caused by two things:
    1. Too speedy and forceful of a descent and expulsion, not allowing your muscles and skin to stretch and baby's head to mold. This can be prevented by controlled breathing and not pushing hard when baby is close to emerging, rather allowing her to "ooze" out if that makes sense.
    2. A bad birth position, like reclining or lying on your back, which reduces the pelvic outlet and makes the muscles and skin taut and more likely to tear. This is best prevented by giving birth in one of the ergonomic positions I listed above.

    Good luck, and I'm glad you're gathering more and more information by the day! Education is so empowering and makes you feel confident in your decisions. Did you ever meet with Ashley?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,

    Thank you so much for being so supportive! I am going to blow up my exercise/ birth ball soon, and begin squats. I already had that in mind b/c my midwife mentioned needing a lot of leg strength. I also read articles about letting the baby "ooze" out. One doctor said there really isn't a need to push, but to let the body do most of the work. I know this is gross, but much like a bowel movement. I remember reading in your birth story that you really had to hold yourself back from pushing. I can't imagine, at this point, how much self control that must take!

    I did speak with Ashley through e-mail. She mentioned having another client due on September 10th, having to arrange child care for the 6 kids, and typically only taking one client per month. She also said if the other client was delivering on my birth date she would have priority for booking first. I totally understand that, but I felt more comfortable actually contracting with someone and knowing I would have a doula. Only because I don't know what I would do if I planned to have one this whole time and then didn't?! So, after meeting with Doris I decided to just go with it (she was more supportive in person than on the phone. She could have been feeling me out on the phone b/c she had actually sworn off Cape Fear). According to her contract she will be there, and if something major happened she would have a back up (that I can meet in advance) available. I felt better about this because I love my midwife, and she has promised me so much, but there is a possibility she won't be on call. I just wanted to know someone would be there that I had gone over my birth plan with ;).

    ReplyDelete