Wednesday, December 22, 2010
The Woman who says "NO"
Lately I feel like the only word that comes out of my mouth is, "NO!" Gabriel grabs for the dog's water dish, "NO!" He grabs for the ornaments on the tree, "NO!" Zig zags to the back of the tree to hit it, "NO!" Drops food to the dogs, "NO!" Tests me and just puts his hand over the edge of the high chair sans food, "NO!" NO, NO, NO! haha! I feel like such a life stopper. Like my son can't even live life and touch things! AHH! I know I'm training him, but it is SO hard. I want to let him experience everything, but at the same time I want him to respect me and my things. I'm not the type of person to pick up everything he can hurt so he doesn't get in trouble. I would rather him learn his boundaries. What he can and can't do. What he can and can't touch. He is so precious too! He is such a good boy! I tell him no and he walks away. Sometimes he will shake his hand and stomp his feet, but he will walk away. Sometimes he will also test me to learn more about his boundaries. He will put food over the edge of the high chair for the dogs. I will say "no" and he puts the food in his mouth instead of dropping it on the floor. He'll then put his hand off the high chair with no food in it. I don't know what to do at this point! He IS after all allowed to put his hands out to the sides right?! But is he testing me????? haha! So right now I am not swatting him for putting his hands over the edge with no food, only with food. He watches me though. He'll watch me go into the kitchen to wash dishes. He wants to know if I'll catch him even across the room. It's tough training him but I know it has to be done. I'm just thankful he is such a good boy and listens the majority of the time =). I am truly blessed! Just wanted to share...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You are a good mother Sarah. Just follow your instincts and let them, paired with biblical knowledge, guide you in your disciplining of "DG".
ReplyDeleteGabriel is so precious and will be a blessing to you and Josh because of your constant dedication to that little man. Being with him 24-7 is the greatest gift you can give him, allowing others to raise our children for the sake of a career is sad distortion of what God intended. The biggest gifts God has given me is my husband and children 'and' the amazing treasure of being able to serve them in the home both day and night.
I love you and am so proud of you Sarah. You are such a gift to our parents and siblings and to me and my family. Your selfless dedication to your family amazes me constantly and I'm not saying this to tickle your ears, it is always on my heart when I think of you!
Keep it up and "know" that saying "no" is normal at this stage ; ) Been there, done that, and have a beautifully obedient and precious (almost) 9 year old who has heard that two letter word a lot too!!
Rebecca
Titus 2:3-5
3 the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— 4 that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.
1 Peter 3
Malachi 4:6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.