I think for most people it takes visible proof to strengthen faith, and it took an earthquake for the soldiers in the account above. I choose to strengthen my faith by not only reading the Word but also studying the natural laws around me. I see a tree and I ask, "where did that come from?" I see animals, rivers, oceans, and people and ask, "where did they come from?" Evolution doesn't answer that for me! There are SO MANY holes there that I just can not accept. I watch dinosaur shows on t.v. and they tell me my ancestors evolved ear canals that humans now utilize. Um, last time I checked species didn't change into new species. I don't care how many millions of years you throw in there we don't have evidence for this. It also defies nature as we currently know it. Horse and donkey mate and you get a STERILE mule. This doesn't leave much room for population growth and survival. There are also SO many theories out there. We evolved from monkeys, rats, and according to the dinosaur shows dinosaurs. Some how each species evolved and I guess shared unique traits. Some how us highly evolved humans ended up with all the "good" traits. We are bipedal, have highly adapted eyes and ears, and wow we just got lucky I guess. We got to "steal" traits somehow from all different species. Gene swapping anyone?! Anyway, I won't go on and on about evolution. I'll just say that the Bible answers this for me. In Romans 1:20 the Bible says, "For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." When I look around I see a human that has always been a human. It was never a rat! It was never a monkey! Sure there is a large variety of humans, animals, and plants, but they all have their own distinct genome. They may create different colors, feeding habits, and so much more, but they are still humans, animals, and plants. I believe these things were created and have had the same genome for thousands of years. Obviously this is faith, but believing that natural laws of today are somehow different than they were millions of years ago also takes a "wee" bit of faith. To believe in something "unseen" is faith. Since we can not see millions of years you cannot call me any less intelligent than you. You can not say that I am utilizing more faith for my belief when you are swallowing a whole lot of unsubstantiated theories. Theories that honestly don't even mesh with one another. One theory doesn't necessarily back up another. It's incredibly confusing! But perhaps you can swallow it because it is more difficult to admit that there is a God? Anyway, this explains strengthening faith in natural law and science. I hope to pass this down to the kids. The Bible also tells us to have an answer for the hope that is within us. Sometimes this answer requires some "physical" proof or logical explanation. I certainly don't expect my children to blindly believe in God simply because I do. This will not garner a strong faith.
I sort of went on a tangent there in the previous paragraph, but I love science "stuff!" I could have gone on and on but I had to force myself to quit since that was not the intention of this post ;). Bringing it back to the true intent I am thrilled with the conversations about A. Sinful "bad" people, B. Freewill, and finally C. The need for a sacrifice/savior! I hope they keep on coming! I hope they ask me lots of questions about Jesus. I love talking about Him too!

No comments:
Post a Comment